William Parkin and John Sansom purchased lots on the east side of Main Street (Parish Ave) in April 1906 for $800 under a stipulation that they would erect a building valued at a minimum of $800 within one year, or the property would revert back to the seller – the Great Western Railway Company. William…
Read MoreThe Masonic Temple
In October 1911, Harvey J. Parish and 14 other local Masonic Brothers formed the Johnstown Fraternal Association to discuss and establish a Masonic Lodge in Johnstown. These prominent men had been members of other area lodges in Berthoud, Windsor, Fort Lupton, and Fort Collins at a time when many lodges were being established across the…
Read MoreThe Johnstown Tornado
In this ongoing series, we feature a piece from our Museum Director, Billie DeLancey, originally published in The Johnstown Breeze on June 26, 2025. Enjoy this look back, and keep an eye on the paper for the newest stories shaping our community. On the morning of June 29, 1928, Susie McLaughlin and three lunch guests…
Read MoreWho Was Jud Martin?
George Oliver “Jud” Martin came to Johnstown in 1920. He purchased and operated a pool hall after coming to town. In 1928, he sold the pool hall and opened a confectionery and clothing store. Jud’s place was popular with children and adults alike. Often, 50 to 75 gallons of ice cream were dipped per week…
Read MoreElwell’s Fate
The community of Elwell began in 1895 with the building of the first church in the area – the Dilley Chapel, in honor of Reverend Cora May (Elwell) Dilley. Three years later J.W. Purvis built his general store on the corner of what is now Colorado Blvd and Hwy 60. Later, Elwell was also the…
Read MoreJohn B. Sloan
John B. Sloan was a prominent farmer and dairy rancher in the Elwell community and later in Johnstown. He came to the Berthoud area in the late 1880s and married Armenda Flora on New Year’s Eve day in 1890. The couple moved to Elwell two years later and became part of that budding community. The…
Read More





